Canada-U.S. Tax Services

BeachFleischman CPAs has offices in Phoenix and Tucson Arizona (AZ) and provides Canada-U.S. tax services for clients across Canada and the U.S., including U.S. tax compliance and consulting for Canadian individuals with U.S. ties and for Canadian businesses with operations in the U.S., as well as American individuals with ties to Canada and U.S. businesses with operations in Canada.

Cross-border issues are complex and need the attention of specialists. The professionals at BeachFleischman have over 20 years of experience working with Canada-US cross-border issues.

Circumstances where you may need our Canada-U.S. Tax Services

You may need our Canada-U.S. Tax services if you are:

  • Canadians buying real estate in the U.S.;
  • Starting or expanding a business across the border;
  • Taxpayers that had a U.S. tax filing requirement, but did not know it and now need to file back taxes to get current;
  • Canadians looking to move to the U.S.;
  • Americans looking to move to Canada;
  • American citizens giving up their citizenship; and
  • Long-term lawful permanent residents (green card holders) that are expatriating from the U.S.

Our Canada-U.S. Tax Services and Solutions

Examples of situations in which BeachFleischman can help are:

  • U.S. Tax compliance - We take a proactive tax planning approach to ensure that you have the maximum lead time possible to take advantage of opportunities to legally minimize and/or defer taxes. Our team’s in-depth tax expertise and knowledge of current and proposed tax laws enables us to provide tax planning strategies tailored to your specific needs.
  • Consulting on proper ownership structure - Whether you are buying real estate or if you are starting or expanding business operations across the border.
  • Non-filers voluntary disclosure - This IRS program is for those that had U.S. filing requirements and were not aware, we can access your best path to full compliance, file prior returns, and work with the IRS on your behalf.
  • Expatriation - When a U.S. citizen gives up their citizenship or when a long-term holder of a green card gives up their green card, they are expatriating. There specific steps that must be taken and potentially a tax filing that must be done prior to expatriation. BeachFleischman can guide you through this process, provide the pros and cons of expatriating and prepare the tax return, when required.
  • FIRPTA - The Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act (FIRPTA) spells out the tax laws for foreign individuals and businesses selling U.S. real estate.
  • Pre-emigration consulting – For those individuals looking to exit Canada or the U.S., tax planning to take advantage of opportunities, stay in compliance and protect/preserve wealth is critical on the front-end of the process.

Work with us ahead of time

Planning ahead and receiving good advice from experienced professionals will let you avoid the costs and hassles of getting it wrong. Failure to address these circumstances could lead to poor tax results, trouble with taxing authorities, and additional tax compliance costs, to name a few. Initial planning and ongoing tax compliance will get into and keep you in the good graces of the Internal Revenue Service and the Canada Revenue Agency. In addition to avoiding the pitfalls and taking advantage of the opportunities, proper planning leads to optimum results.

Why use BeachFleischman for your Canada-U.S. tax consulting?

Very few firms have Canada-US tax expertise. Our professionals have over 20 years of Canada-U.S. cross-border experience. It is not sufficient to hire a professional on each side of the border and expect to get as good a result as a professional that is a cross-border professional. Our practice leader, Dale Walters, CPA, PFS, CFP® (U.S.) is a licensed certified public accountant and has over thirty-five years of experience. He is a frequent speaker on US-Canada tax related issues, and is the author of Buying Real Estate in the US – The Concise Guide for Canadians and is the co-author of Taxation of Canadians in America: Are YOU at risk? and Taxation of Americans in Canada: Are YOU at risk?

Contact our Canada-U.S. Tax Services Team